Thursday, October 27, 2011

SWEET POTATO BROWN SUGAR CINNAMON ROLLS



Today is sweet potato day. I've just made some sweet potato cinnamon rolls that are the moistest, softest, cushiony-est, sweet potatoe-iest buns I've ever made. This recipe is one that I concocted. There was a lot of vacillating between cake, buns or onde-onde. But finally ...a decision. And more importantly ....action. And these rolls are here to stay. You just have to make them. Have to make them. Have to make them.


I used Japanese Sweet Potatoes....the purple skinned kind. The smooth inside kind,  the yellow inside kind, the non fibrous kind...yes I did. Things may turn out differently if you were to use a different kind ~  I know you know that ~ I'm just saying ~ :)


The large proportion of grated sweet potatoes gave the buns so much flavour, moistness ans richness. I'm so soo pleased. It was a hit at home. You must try.

I must declare too that those sweet potatoes were steamed, drained and sat in my fridge for the longest time. Like a week. Or more? I must also declare that the bread dough sat in my fridge for 2 whole days before being baked. Yes it did. 




The recipe ~


420 gm steamed, cooled completely, peeled then grated sweet potatoes (Japanese kind)
400 gm plain flour
1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
40 gm butter
1 whole egg, beaten to just mix
120-130 ml water at room temperature 

Extra butter, softened, about 3 oz...maybe
Some brown sugar to sprinkle ( i didn't measure)
Cinnamon powder



Grease a 9 inch tube pan well and keep aside.

Mix flour, yeast sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir to mix. Add butter and rub in the butter into the flour until it becomes crumbly. Add the grated sweet potato and mix it in. Add egg and then the water. I added 125 ml. Mix with a spoon first to gather up the dough and then use your hands to bring the dough together and then turn onto a floured board and knead for about five (5) minutes. 

The dough will be very soft and sticky so knead very lightly and don't put too much pressure otherwise the dough will simply stick to your hands. If too sticky ...flour your hands rather than the dough and continue to knead until reasonably smooth. Don't worry if its still soft and little sticky.

Oil a large bowl lightly and place the dough inside and cover with a damp cloth or cling film and allow to rest for 1 hour or more if necessary until the dough doubles in size. I left it in the fridge for 48 hours.

Turn out the dough, once it has risen, onto a very well floured board, press it down to flatten a little with your hands and roll out with a rolling pin into a large rectangle about 15 inches by 10.I didn't measure but I think it was about that size. This is just like making a cinnamon roll.

Using the softened butter spread the butter all over the rectangular dough like spreading butter on bread but leaving 1 cm clean all around the edges. Then sprinkle brown sugar, then cinnamon all over the buttered dough as much or as little as you like but make sure it is evenly spread.

From the 15 inch end start o roll the dough into a swiss roll puling to tighten as you roll so that the roll will not come loose.

Cut the rolled dough into 12 equal pieces. Arrange the slices of cut rolls into the greased tube pan at an angle until it is filled up with all 12 pieces. Let rise, covered with a damp cloth or cling film draped loosely over the pan. Once the dough has risen I sprinkled a little more brown sugar and cinnamon over the top. Bake in a 350 F pre-heated oven for about 20 -25 minutes until golden brown.

Invert and pull the rolls apart and serve. 

Note : the sliced raw rolls may be kept overnight in the fridge and baked the next morning. That's what i did.




I think the purple just didn't do it. 

17 comments:

Janine said...

oh yum this looks absolutely lovely! do you think if i mashed the sweet potato instead it'd be okay? and i love the cloth you use in all photos - where do you get them at?

Passionate About Baking said...

Sweet potato cinnamon rolls sounds so special and good! It looks so so yummy Zurin! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Zurin said...

Hi folks, thanks for dropping by :)

Janine...I buy most of my props from Daiso. The cloths and tablemats that I use come from Daiso too.Daiso has such cute things. you must go there :)

Monika said...

Perfect;)

Federica Simoni said...

wow che meraviglia!complimenti!!!!!!!!

a quiet life said...

does this ever tickle my fancy and eyballs :)

Anonymous said...

Oooh these look great. This is the second potato/pumpkin based cinnamon rolls I've seen in the last few weeks, I think I need to make them now!

Russell said...

Gorgeous rolls. They look soo yummy!

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

oh Zurin. I could eat all of them they look so good !

I'll so need to make these (once the diet is over ...). Yummmy :-)

Linda said...

Oh my Zurin...that is a thing of beauty! I want a piece right this minute. It looks amazing!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Wow, I am truly fascinated by your ravings of this bread. They must taste heavenly. Wish I will be able to find time to bake this soon...

Elin Chia said...

Zurin....Okay okay I am sold. I have to make these lovely cushioney softest and moist sweet potato buns..Yea alright the japanese type LOL! I will make this for sure. I am a sweet potato....fan that is ! :) Thanks for the recipe :)

Christine knapkins_com said...

Hi Zurina, Your Cinnamon Rolls recipe has been selected to be featured in a Recipe Guessing Game. Please share the following link with your friends and fans. To play, go here: http://knapkins.com/guess_games/344?source=blog Congrats again!! :)

Through My Kitchen Window said...

Congrats dear. Fancy you concocting this wonderful recipe, but not at all surprising. You really are very clever Zurin. I feel very tempted to give this one a go. How do you think Pumpkins would go? Would they be too watery maybe. I ask, because Mitch has a wheelbarrow full of them for me to use. I adore your picture of the buns still in their tin. So pretty.

Anonymous said...

What a festive, pretty & alternative tasty dish! Who would think that adding sweet potatoes would result in these stunning rolls?
I first thought that that was saffron that made it into this gloden yellow colour!!!

iva said...

i love your photography. and the combination sounds mouth watering!

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

So pretty! I just posted bread today & have been making so much and want a great cinn roll recipe -these look pretty fabulous!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails